Posted by: alleghenytrailrun | August 28, 2008

Day 1: 8/28/2008. 2332. Email from Kavara Vaughn.

I have been anxiously awaiting the next correspondence from Kavara. Below is her end of day post. jlb

“Adam dedicates today’s run to Charlene . . . .

10:30 p.m.

The first day of the ALTSRA has come to an end and all the folks involved are settling in and preparing for bed . . . this includes Adam, Bradley, Kadra, Frances, Kavara, and our hosts John McGrath and Gene Lewis. We are spending the night in John’s cozy home in Davis, WV. We came out of the rain and into his warm, well lit, spacious farm house. The music of the Everything Fields played in the background and there was a hot meal waiting for us comprised of takeout from Siriani’s and Hellbender’s, two restaurants in Davis, as well as a big salad and assorted drinks. Gene picked up the takeout and he and John prepared an awesome salad for us. Upstairs, there was a bed made up for each of us with a towel and a piece of Lindt chocolate resting on the pillow. They even loaded the tub up with ice to create an ice bath for the boys. These two waited on us hand and foot from the moment we walked in the door. John even washed Bradley’s nasty water bottles. We are grateful to both of them. Thank you guys!

The boys had an awesome day of running today! The plan was to stop at Leadmine at mile 75.6. They arrived at Leadmine with plenty of daylight left and were psyched about the opportunity to bank some more miles and ran on until just past dark. They ended the day of running on Close Mountain Road at approximately mile 81 of the Allegheny Trail, stopping at 8:33 p.m. I ran the last 10 miles of the day with them and realized the terrain they covered today is not as benign as I envisioned it . . . it was actually quite rocky and steep. Adam and Bradley ran strong and steady through the entire day. They had a few aches and pains at the end of the day, but it must not have been affecting them too much because they sprinted 3/4 mile up the last hill trying to drop my ass again. They only experienced route finding difficulties once. We went about 2 miles off course in the last 10 mile section because we were talking and not looking for blazes like we should have been. We tried to figure out how far off course we were by screaming for Frances, but when that didn’t work, we just ran back to the last blaze we saw. They will be in bed by 10:30 with full bellies and iced legs, so they should get a good night of sleep. We’ll be up at 4:00 a.m. and out the door soon after for the second day of the assault. They are fired up, but they are logging a lot of miles over the next few days and will need support from you guys, so keep the comments coming.

Also . . . a big thanks to Julie Hooks and her children Victoria and T.J. “Hammerhead” Hooks who came to the start at 5:30 a.m. to see Adam and Bradley off. Hardcore kids and mama, eh? T.J. ran the entire North Fork Mountain Trail (approximately 24 miles) a few weekends ago. Not bad for young blood, eh? Thank you to everyone who has commented and to everyone who is following along. We all appreciate it . . . especially Adam and Bradley.” kv



  1. Go guys go!! Well, if you can run 81 miles on Day one, I guess I will drag my butt out later today for a 6 mile run. Keep it up, we are all thinking about you two!!!

  2. Adam – I thank you so much for dedicating this day to me and I am sorry that you unable to finish this race the way you wanted to. Just know that you are always a winner in my eyes. Love and Prayers – Charlene

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: